Avella Specialty Pharmacy, in collaboration with the American Liver Foundation and Denver Colorado AIDS Project, offered free Hepatitis screenings for the general public at its Denver-based facility on May 19th in support of National Hepatitis Testing Day. Hepatitis C can be detected through a simple blood test that identifies antibodies to the virus. Early detection of the Hepatitis C Virus (HCV) is critical since many individuals that have the condition exhibit no symptoms and don’t realize they are infected.
According to the Centers for Disease Control (CDC), it is estimated that more than 3.2 million people in the U.S. are living with HCV. Download the infographic to learn more about the hepatitis C epidemic in the United States. The CDC recommends all of the following groups receive testing for HCV:
- All adults born during 1945 through 1965
- Recipients of blood transfusions or organ transplants before July 1992
- Current or former users of illegal injection drugs
- Chronic hemodialysis patients
- Healthcare workers who may have been exposed to the virus through needle sticks
- People with HIV
- Children born to HCV-positive mothers
The screening event will take place at Avella of Denver, Colorado at 1245 East Colfax Ave, Suite 102. In addition to receiving immediate results, individuals will also have access to guidance and education from healthcare professionals if they test positive for HCV. To schedule an appointment for an HCV test during this free event, please contact Avella of Denver at (303) 863-7644.